Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Geeky Stuff

Alright, so maybe I'm a bit of a geek but I honestly thought that we would have a colony on the moon by now . I mean, how long has it been since we first landed on the moon?

So despite what I think of W, when he announced his space plans last year I was ecstatic. Now it seems that NASA might actually try to implement W's vision.

NASA has offered a $250,000 prize to any scientist who discovers a way of extracting breathable oxygen from moondust.

To claim the MoonROx prize, scientists must develop and demonstrate hardware capable of extracting at least five kilograms of breathable oxygen from a simulated lunar soil made from volcanic ash in an eight-hour period.

MoonROx stands for Moon Regolith Oxygen -- regolith being the loose layer of rocks and debris covering the surface of a planet or moon.

Link

Combining that with NASA's solar sail technology might actually propel us into space.

I hope.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?