Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Pop Culture

It seems that more often than not I miss what's going on in the pop culture world.

As one whose two best friends are pop culture junkies, I sometimes feel left out of the conversation. Paris Hilton was the topic of their conversation yesterday. It only hit me then. Paris Hilton is a name of a person and not the name of the Hilton hotel in Paris as I've been thinking all along. Shame. Shame on me.

How important is it to be pop-culturally updated?
Do I need to know who married who, divorced who, had an affair, is pregnant etc? No.
Do I care about these things? Ahhh... that's where the big difference lies.

No, I don't care. And hence these kind of news items brush me tangentially, never leaving an impression.

Most people, I guess, do care. To different degrees. To some it's a form of gossip, to others it's a form of idolizing stars, and to other yet it's a way of staying informed. They view pop culture news as any other news. I disagree, but hey, it seems that I'm in the minority.

For the sake of not being left out anymore I'm going to make a changes in my life. A conscious effort. I promise to watch one of these pop culture shows once a week. You know, like Extra. I will know who is who in no time, and then I will feel worthwhile. Knowledgeable. Able to hold my own in a conversation about Paris Hilton.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?