Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Sexism

I've been having this debate with a friend about sexism. Very enlightening.
Here are the main points we discussed:
  1. No contention - television is sexist. It is sexist towards both genders although skewed towards sexism against women.
  2. His definition of sexism is the in the actual belief that men and women are different; racism is the belief different races are different. My definition - men and women are different, cultural differences exist. The differences, however, don't mean that any one gender or race is superior or inferior to the other. Sexism therefore is acting on these differences for bias and mistreatment purposes.
  3. He was really big on this point - housewives - are they controlled or the controller. I didn't seem to think there was a controlled or controller in a relationship.
  4. His point - feminism is dying, we're regressing, girls are less feminist today than they were ten years ago. My point - feminism isn't dead, it's manifested itself. The girls don't need to be feminist, they know they can accomplish many things.
  5. His point of view - girls are becoming more violent. I don't know, but if they do it's because of confusing times.

Of course, I think I'm right on all points, but then again, at the end of the day, the result was pretty amazing I thought. This kind of debate goes beyond the normal sexist debate, which makes me hopeful and positive for the future.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?